Smartmicro automotive Radars for Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) and Forward Collision Warning (FCW) are optimized for long range detection. The distance control function is available at any speed and can also be used in Stop&Go situations. A collision warning function is additionally implemented. This technology, developed since 2002, entered volume production in 2008 (1st gen.) and is used for example by the French carmaker PSA.
When introducing the first 24GHz RF system-on-chip design in 2009, Smartmicro paved the way for the 2nd generation products using this world leading 24GHz SiGe BICMOS transceiver chip for highest performance and lowest cost, combined with leading antenna technology.
Since 2014 Smartmicro offers 3rd generation forward looking Radar products both at 24GHz and at 77GHz, now featuring 3DHD, which introduces highest resolution (object separation) in three dimensions range, speed (Doppler) and angle. 4th generation products are under development.
Very long detection ranges of up to 500m and very wide field of view of up to 100 degree have become available.
Typical applications are:
- Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
- Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
- General Sensor Data Fusion Applications
Smartmicro offers design-, development- and related engineering services and complete solutions for 1st tier automotive suppliers, to allow manufacturing of customized products on the supplier's manufacturing lines. See also Services and Solutions.
Side/rear driver assistance systems consist of two radar units, those are invisibly mounted in the corners of the rear bumper. One sensor operates as system master, the second unit is configured as slave. By using a private data link, the data of both radars are combined in asensor data fusion tracking algorithm.
Solution  - the Smartmicro Lane Change Assist (LCA) technology is in volume production since Q1/2006 and is used for example byAudi, Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, Mazda and others already in the 2nd generation. Designed for compliance with ISO 17387 LCDAS type III / C.
The field of view is selected to cover most of the blind spot warning zone, and an area containing three lanes (left neighbor, driving and right neighbor lane) up to 70m back. It operates on straight roads as well as in curves. This is achieved by a special patented antenna design.
Solution  - the Blind Spot Detection (BSD) system is similar to the LCA system and also consists of two radar units. The field of view covers the blind zones, Radars are pointed to the side of the car and detect any moving vehicle beside or beside/behind the Radar car. An area containing five lanes (two left neighbors, driving and two right neighbor lanes) is scanned. The range to the rear is shorter compared to lane change assist systems. The blind spot detection system has lower cost and is easier to install. It was optimized for slow speed urban driving as well as for driving on freeways. Having been extensively tested in congested cities, the system stands forexcellent performance and very low false alarm rate. Designed for compliance to ISO 17387 type I or II / A or B.
Both solutions optionally come with additional applications integrated:
- Rear Cross Traffic Detection (RCTA)
- Exit Assistant (Door Open Warning - DOW)
- Rear Collision Warning (RCW)
Featuring the latest system-on-chip design Smartmicro sensors use in 2nd generation a world leading 24GHz SiGe BICMOS RF chip for highest performance and lowest cost, and brilliant antenna technology.
3rd generation products use high speed modulation, 24GHz RFIC chip set, multicore DSP and feature 3DHD technology, ISO26262 (ASIL) compliance.
Detection algorithms, tracking, object-to-lane mapping and the warning algorithm (illuminating warning LEDs or buzzers) are integrated. No extra control unit is required.
The innovative and cost efficient master-slave system design performs all functions, interfaces all controls, such as a two-stage visual and audible warning and communicates with the vehicle data bus. Smartmicro is offering sensors in dual board (RF board and digital board separate) or in single board configuration (RF and digital board combined).
360 Degree Applications
- Measures positions and speed vectors of multiple reflectors simultaneously, with high accuracy, within short measurement time.
- Up to 500m range, up to 100 degree field of view.
- 24GHz, 76-77GHz and 77-81GHz high bandwidth models.
- Features true 3DHD object separation in range and speed and azimuth angle.
- Detects, tracks and classifies all traffic (multi-lane). Tracks up to 256 objects (vehicles) simultaneously.
- One box design.
- Single board or dual board designs.
- Self calibration and diagnostics on board (sensor blind detection, self-alignment etc., system self test and error management).
- Communicates with vehicle via single or dual CAN bus, Ethernet or RS485 interface.
- Small, light weight, low power consumption.
- Vehicle/customer/application specific code can be integrated in Radar system.
- Ready for plug-and-play multi sensor data fusion.
Advantages of this Radar Technology.
- High performance third and forth generation 24GHz and 76-77GHz technology.
- High bandwidth sensor designs in 77-81GHz band.
- Highest-in-class integration levels for RF (system-on-chip) subsystem and digital signal processing modules.
- Excellent antenna performance.
- Dual board or single board solutions available.
- Low unit cost.
- Low vehicle model adaptation effort, flexible installation and configuration options.
- Maintenance free.
- Long lifetime.
- All weather operation, high availability.
- Wide temperature interval: typ. -40 to +95 degree Celsius.
- Extremely robust - withstands highest shock and vibration levels.
- Excellent unit-to-unit reproducibility.
- Can be mounted invisibly behind plastic fascia.
- Nearly world wide frequency approval.
Typical Applications: State-of-the-art Driver Assistance Systems.
- Lane Change Assist (LCA).
- Blind Spot Detection (BSD).
- Rear Cross Traffic Detection (RCTA).
- Rear Collision Warning (RCW) and Side Collision Warning.
- Door Open Warning (Exit Assistant).
- Back Up Warning.
- Typically in 24GHz band.
- Forward Collision warning (FCW).
- Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC).
- Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB).
- Typically in 76-77GHz band.
360 Degree Systems
- Parking Aid.
- Autonomous Driving.
- Uses Multi-Sensor Fusion and is typically combined with other front or side/rear applications.
- Typically in 77-81GHz band.